We are really fortunate to live in the Piedmont, North Carolina area where out of this world delicious food is easy to come by. Not only do we have a bounty of great restaurants, food trucks, farms, CSA’s and farmers markets to choose from, we also have an abundance of food entrepreneurs as well. One of these local food artisans is Mark Overbay of Big Spoon Peanut Roasters. Hand-crafted in small batches in Durham, NC, Big Spoon creates all natural nut butters from scratch and man are they tasty.
Recently, Mark introduced a new flavor, Chai Spiced Nut Butter, which being a tea and spice lover, I’ve been eager to try. I really like just eating a decadent spoonful here and there but thought the butter would be especially good in Rice Krispy Treats too. My husband learned to add peanut butter to the traditional cereal box recipe from his parents, so taking that as a base I decided to replace standard peanut butter with Big Spoon’s Chai Spiced Nut Butter, and I’m glad I did. So good and super easy. A perfect fall treat.
|Peanut Butter and Chai Spiced Rice Krispy Treats|
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 10oz package of regular marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/3 cup Big Spoon Chai Spiced Nut Butter
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Add 1/3 cup of Big Spoon Chai Spiced Nut Butter. Stir until well blended.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.