When I saw the recipe for these chocolate chip shortcakes filled with berries and dark chocolate sauce from Sunset magazine, I knew I’d have to make a variation. I’m sure the chocolate would be great, but we had homemade strawberry ice cream in the freezer. This was so good.
- About 3 cups all-purpose flour
- About 6 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into chunks, plus about 1 tbsp. melted
- ¾ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Strawberry ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 3 cups flour, 3 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt; whirl until blended. Add ½ cup butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add cream and pulse just until dough comes together when you squeeze a clump.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and press to flatten slightly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, then knead until incorporated, 6 to 8 turns. Pat dough out to 1¼ in. thickness. With a 2¾-in. round cutter, cut out shortcakes; gather dough and pat out again as needed to cut all 6 cakes, dusting surface with more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Set shortcakes slightly apart on a baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake shortcakes until golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet at least 15 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, carefully slice shortcakes in half horizontally. Fill with strawberry ice cream, put tops back on.
Food Photography & Styling by Michelle Smith