I’ve already professed my love for quinoa in another recipe post here. Not only is it good for you because of it’s high levels of iron and fiber, it is also gluten free. That’s not an issue for us but I know for a lot of people it is. I like this recipe because I can quickly make it with frozen peas and a few snips of mint from my garden.
|Gluten Free Recipe: Quinoa, Pea and Mint Salad|
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 cup shelled fresh green peas or frozen
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- Bring stock and quinoa to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook 10 minutes, then add peas. Cook until quinoa is tender but still chewy and has absorbed the liquid, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the oil. Transfer to a serving bowl and let cool slightly (about 5 minutes) before gently stirring in the mint. Serve salad warm or at room temperature.
Food Photography & Styling by Michelle Smith