Every couple of weeks my husband makes granola from scratch. He likes to eat it with his morning yogurt but it’s also good on top of ice cream or as a stand alone snack. The beauty of granola is that a lot of ingredients can be added to customize it each time you make it. Here is our basic recipe that you can build upon.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups assorted nuts (such as walnuts, almonds or pecans)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup assorted sweeteners (such as maple syrup, honey or even brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups assorted dried fruit (such as raisins, cranberries, apricots)
- Stir together the oats, coconut and nuts in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan heat the oil, cinnamon, vanilla and sweeteners and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture. Stir to make sure everything is coated.
- Spread on one or two baking pans and bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool completely on the pan. The mixture will crisp as it cools.
- Stir in dried fruit and serve or package. Will keep in an airtight container for approximately 1 week.
** Image Credits: Michelle Smith