I like to call this blueberry cream cheese coffee cake “floor cake” because the past two times that I’ve made it, despite it’s gorgeous appearance, it has fallen onto the floor in transit. But, both times the cake was still devoured. I made it again this weekend and turns out third time is a charm. It remained successfully intact and delicious. While this isn’t the simplest cake to make, it is still a crowd-pleaser and worth the extra steps it involves in making it.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed, or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, bring blueberries and apple juice to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until blueberries have released their juices, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water. Add to blueberry mixture; stir until it simmers and thickens, about 1 minute. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl or food processor, mix or whirl flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Add butter to flour mixture. Cut in with a pastry blender or pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup; pour remaining into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, vanilla, and 1 egg until blended; stir into flour-baking powder mixture until incorporated. Spread batter in a buttered 9-inch round cake pan with a removable rim.
- In a bowl or food processor (no need to wash from step 2), beat with an electric mixer on high speed or whirl cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining egg, and lemon juice until smooth. Spread over batter in pan, leaving a 1/2-inch border bare. Gently spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese mixture, leaving some visible. Stir almonds into reserved flour mixture and sprinkle over cake, concentrating most around edge of batter.
- Bake in a 350Â° oven until center of cake barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken and top of cake is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove pan rim. Serve warm or at room temperature.