Buttermilk Plum Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for coating pan
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup fine-grain natural cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Zest of 3 lemons, finely grated
- 5 ripe plums, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour an 11-inch round tart or quiche pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, cane sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk. Whisk in the melted butter and lemon zest. Add butter-and-buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir gently until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Arrange plums across the top. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake has set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe via Whole Living
** Image Credits: Guilty Kitchen