I know it is a little hot for soup, but I enjoy a good soup anytime regardless of the temperature outside. This dish has the most wonderful flavor and is simple to make. Yellow lentils are tricky to find so yellow split peas are a good, easily found alternative.
Yellow-Lentil Soup with Cilantro Chutney
For the soup
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils (12 ounces), rinsed well
- Coarse salt
For the chutney
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- Make the soup: Heat oil and coriander seeds in a medium saucepan over high heat for 1 minute. Add stock and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer gently, partially covered, until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, make the chutney: Pulse cilantro, lime juice, oil, and ginger in a food processor until cilantro is finely chopped. Serve soup topped with chutney.