Dining Dilemma

As I alluded to in a previous post my parents generously offered us their old kitchen table this weekend. It had been sitting in their garage and my Dad was using it as a workbench. It’s lovely and it really takes things up a notch decorating-wise. Just sitting at it feels good, but, the wood stain is a bit dark for our space and doesn’t match our kitchen cabinets or other furniture. We have an open floor plan and there is no space separation between the kitchen, dining area or living room so it is definitely a noticeable difference.

The chairs pictured here are falling apart and are actually going to be replaced soon, hopefully for the long haul, with the West Elm set that we recently purchased but are on back order until April. However, the color we chose in the chairs (and love) is “acorn” So, what to do? Paint the table? Strip it and try to stain it lighter? Swap out the chairs for white? By the way, the table (though it looks like a vintage farm house style) is just from World Market and not an antique or heirloom.

Any suggestions? I would love to hear your thoughts!

You Might Also Like:

Comments

1. says

Gorgeous table! I love the rough, well-loved patina it’s acquired, too. If you want a lighter stain, maybe you can strip it gently, sanding till you get a color you like, and then sealing it at that point?

I also think it would look great, as is, with those West Elm chairs in white. I think the brown and white look nice against the sage-y/khaki green.

2. says

Of course, I’m not seeing the rest of your space, but . . . I LOVE the way the table looks! It is a dark stain, but with the weathering that has occurred, it just looks so cool & antiqued. It also looks fabu with the white chairs. I would swap the WE chairs for the white and stick with the color of the table as is. I also LOVE your centerpiece arrangement!

3. Tanya says

Well… It should come as no surprise that I love the table! Right up my

Yellow Dog Bread Company
    Tanya Andrews, Owner
    tanya@yellowdogbread.com
    (252)452-2222
    . I agree… I think you should switch the chairs out for white. I don’t think you should worry about matching your cabinets, and I definitely wouldn’t paint or try to refinish the table… it’s just too pretty as is.

4. says

I love your table. The patina is great and the dark wood with the white chairs is really lovely. I’m no help with your dilemma but I do think it looks smashing the way it is!

5. says

that table is incredible!
    to be honest i prefer the west elm chairs in acorn as well – however, i do think the white chairs would look absolutely wonderful with the dark stain of the table. When it comes to stripping and restaining, sometimes pieces come out the way i envisioned, but other times they don’t work out. personally i would be too frightened of ruining the table – but thats just me! hehe

6. says

Are you still thinking about what to do with the table? I think it looks lovely as is, but if you want it to feel lighter, why not just add a runner to it. Maybe a light tan one with texture… burlap comes to mind for some reason. Or maybe for a different look, something in white cotton with open work or crochet. Or use a white vase instead of the blue glass… because the contrast of dark and light is really nice.